Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Jill Hunting

Unfortunately, I was unable to attend any of the honor of medal classes assigned to our FIG and was then assigned to visit one of the J-school’s events. I decided to visit the national book tour reading of Finding Pete by author, Jill Hunting. The memoir was a spin-off from one of the articles she wrote for the Washington Post’s Magazine about the Vietnam War and her brother. Hunting’s brother was killed towards the beginning of the Vietnam War by a roadside bomb; the news of this tragic event left Hunting’s family devastated and broken. I sat in one of the Missourian’s budgeting meeting rooms along with a former friend of Hunting’s brother and other journalism students for the book reading. I really enjoyed hearing the process she went through writing the book, not only because it was a very interesting account, but also because I am interested in book writing. She then proceeded to discuss her past work experience in newspaper editing, writing for “Food and Wine,” publishing and becoming a full-fledged author. I enjoyed hearing her story and it has in-turn inspired me to follow my dreams and work both in newspapers and book publishing. The story told was extremely powerful and everyone that attended the book reading was fully invested in the time spent with Hunting. I am truly grateful for the chance to hear about her novel and the chance to hear about her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment