Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Basically, I'm awesome.

I’ve never been a big believer in having strengths that persistently emerge during any crisis. I have always thought that we all react to situations differently, but I never thought that my reactions and the choices I made based on circumstances were actually consistent. Now, I know. According to the Strengths Quest survey, my top three strengths were discipline, harmony and consistency. I can most definitely agree that I am quite disciplined in almost everything that I do, that I am always trying to find middle ground during a conflict and that I always try to treat people the same.

I asked the Strengths Quest worker what she thought of my strengths in the journalism field after taking the survey. She agreed with me and felt that these strengths would make me a great contender as a journalist.

Looking at my strengths, I believe discipline is my number one strength in hopes of becoming an excellent journalist. As a disciplined person, I am always orderly, on time and I continually set strict routines. This can help me to become a very reliable source in the newsroom and it has always helped others to count on my dependability. Unfortunately, with my need for predictability, I am very wary of relying on others to get things done. This can make group situations a hassle. Overall though, my discipline can work wonders in the newsroom.

As a harmonizer, I will take the neutral stance during newsroom debates. This comes will both positive and negative aspects, however. Being neutral, I will be able to avoid any unhealthy, debating relationships with any of my editors and this will help me emerge as a practical, down-to-earth balancer. On the other hand, although I may have strong beliefs, desires and opinions, my strong sense of harmony will take over and will make me look like a non-opinionated and quiet journalist.

Consistency is the last of my top three strengths. My consistency will give people in the newsroom more reason to rely on me. This consistency also helps me to be practical and helps me to treat all people equally. Regrettably however, I am easily turned off and feel as if something is truly offensive if it aims to hurt others and as a journalist, I am always striving to bring all truths to light.

Generally, I think each strength works well towards helping me find a journalism career and each work well to reinforce the other. With these strengths, I hope to become a well-known and accomplished journalist in the infamous world of journalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment